Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Dues to LAE Support Democratic Politicians

I am not a terribly political person by nature. I believe in certain tenants of fairness very strongly, though. I started looking at all of this information because I was curious as to why dues for the teacher's union in Vermilion Parish were nearly $500 a year. The chart below details how much money the Louisiana Association of Educators gives to political candidates and committees each year and breaks it down by partisan affiliation. As you can see, LAE gives much more money to Democrats than Republicans.

If you're a teacher in Vermilion Parish who's a member of the union, then you're giving 50% of your dues to an organization that is not only using your money to support politicians, but is doing so in an overwhelmingly partisan way. While I can't seem to find information on the Vermilion Association of Educators' spending habits...I'd be willing to bet that they get involved in politics in a partisan way as well.



1 comment:

  1. Anyone who has paid attention to politics knows that teacher's unions skew towards Democratic politicians. I've always wondered if there were teachers out there who opposed the unions acting on their behalf. Good work.

    ReplyDelete